Iron Mountain

Iron Mountain is Daniel Haight’s latest dystopian fiction novel, about a boy who must rise up and survive a disintegrating world. Iron Mountain, along with the rest of the Flotilla series can be described as ‘The Hunger Games meets The Life of Pi’, because while it is a dystopian fiction novel, it’s also challenges us to think about what guides us to becoming more.

Learn more about the book and where you can read it here

Here's a couple questions that Daniel answered:

Tell me about Iron Mountain, what makes this book special?

Iron Mountain takes you on several journeys at once. First, you have this kid growing up and facing tough ethical choices for the first time. Second, you’re escaping the end of the world and trying to find a safe place in among the Meltdown of the West Coast. Third, you’re traveling through the mass of conspiracy theories that people hold about who really runs the world and you’re going to have to make a choice along with Jim as to what is real and what isn’t.

At the end of Iron Mountain, you’re going to be right there with Jim going “Wow ... I can’t believe I just survived that.” This is a unique story meant to keep the reader absolutely hooked until the last.

Why did you write this book?

There’s a great quote by Toni Morrison that goes “If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” I love reading stories that have a balance of action, emotion, detail and tension. I can’t stand books where I can guess the ending by page 50. I haven’t found a lot of stories like that lately – too many mainstream novels avoid doing anything that surprises you – so I write books for readers like me.

Do people need to read "Flotilla" first to enjoy "Iron Mountain"?

Nope – from the beginning, I want Iron Mountain to be a book that you can pick up and enjoy on its own. It continues the story that I started in Flotilla, but it doesn’t rely on it.

Who do you think this book is for?

Well, first, I think anyone who loves a good fact-based thriller is going to love Iron Mountain. I’ve spent hundreds of hours researching the locations, the conspiracy theories and the issues to create a believable end-of-the-world scenario. There are so many original, authentic ideas inside Iron Mountain that people who read Tom Clancy will be absolutely delighted.

Second - I think Iron Mountain is a book for everyone who struggles to tell their own story. Life throws a lot of curveballs at us and sometimes it pushes people out of the ‘correctly-defined narratives’ of life. If what we’re going through falls outside of what our friends or family can understand, we spend years watching them champion other people and causes instead of us.

I was one of those people, growing up, and I’ve seen other people go through it as well. You can literally languish for years, not being understood or helped, because of it. So, for people like that, Jim is your hero. He’s going through the same thing and he has to deal with the fact that he isn’t surrounded by people who get what he’s about or what he needs.

Comments

Leave a Reply

(Your email will not be publicly displayed.)

Captcha Code

Click the image to see another captcha.